186-Thompson Aircraft Tyre Corporation Belgium s.a.
Renovation and extension of offices
Route de Bavay, 72 – 7080 Frameries, Belgique
1080 sqm. (1987-1991); (01-186).
– Construction management
– Interior design
– Mechanical, electrical, plumbing engineering
– Project management
– Quantity surveying
– Structural engineering
The Thompson Aircraft Tyre Corporation retreads aeroplane tyres and has a multinational clientele. Thompson’s factory was constructed in 1952. While the production facilities were up-to-date, the existing office space required extension and renovation.
The extensions and their accesses are added in a linear fashion to existing buildings so as to create a new facade. A longitudinal passageway provides access to and visual communication between two office zones on different levels. Four rows of reinforced concrete columns support the floors and roofs. The systematic dissociation of each structural element confers visual lightness to the building. The contemporary use of traditional materials provides equilibrium to interior space that must be used both for interactive and high-technology work.
- HOUTNIEUWS – LE COURRIER DU BOIS, n°93, 2nd term 1991, pp. 31-32; “Rénovation et extension des bureaux de Thompson Aircraft”, ” Renovatie en uitbreiding van de kantoren van Thompson Aircraft”; (BE).
- TERRE CUITE ET CONSTRUCTION – BOUWEN MET BAKSTEEN, n° 2? 1991, pp. 1-5; “Thompson Aircraft Tire Corporation”; (BE).
- L’ARCA, n° 49, May 1991, p 103 ; (Italy).
- L’ARCA, n° 54, November 1991, pp 34 – 38 ; (Italy).
|01-186||THOMPSON AIRCRAFT TIRE CORPORATION, FRAMERIES.|
|Client:||THOMPSON AIRCRAFT TIRE CORPORATION.|
|Architecture:||A. Antoine, M. Benkirane, L. Finet, F. Janssens de Bisthoven, A. Mestiri.|
|Services:||Samyn and Partners.|
exterior : Studio Claerhout.
interior : Ch. Bastin & J. Evrard
For plans sections and elevations, please refer to the archives section of the site available from the “references” menu.